Saturday, September 10, 2011

Lessons from a dachshund.

This weekend, my parents went out of town for my mother's 40th high school reunion (I can't even fathom that). They left me with Rocki, our 4 year old dachshund. Cute, right? Sure, he's cute, but I can't stand him. Maybe I'm still bitter from those times when he was a puppy that he'd pee on me due to being too excited. But, there's so many things that bother me about him, versus my other dog (who, for some reason, got to go to the kennel this weekend). See, Rocki barks at EVERYTHING. He especially hates the sound of motors, bicycles, children, other dogs, anything that sounds like a doorbell, and any loud sound, and lets that be known with excessive barking. He likes to go to the bathroom inside, sometimes. He constantly licks my feet, legs, arms, and whatever other skin may be exposed. The list goes on.
Recently, Rocki started to loose his eyesight. My parents called me towards the end of my stay in Texas to let me know he was basically blind and they were paying out the wazoo for vet bills. One of the meds he's on makes him pee like crazy, causing the 'accidents inside the house' ratio go up. He needs help with many things due to his eyesight being virtually gone. He's extra cuddly, and with that, extra needy.
So, knowing I had to take care of him made me feel, I guess queasy is an alright word. During the 4 years we've had him, I've never had to take care of him. And now, I get to take care of him thanks to being the only person home.
I could choose to be a heartless jerk and ignore him and not help whatsoever.
But, the thing is, I'm choosing the opposite. I have to make that choice to help him, as I'm the only one who can meet the needs he currently has. With each task that I have to do, I'm slowly growing alright with helping him.
Why am I writing all this? It's made me think, a lot. It's made me think of how we as humans can create a mindset that we won't help others because 1- someone else can do it, 2- we hold grievances with someone, therefore helping them is out of the question, or 2- we feel the need to do things that only suite or rewards us.
I know I've been guilty of this, mainly the second one. I randomly think of people that have needed help that I've ignored because I'm mad at them or they annoy me or they're too needy or...the list goes on. Yes, someone else can and I know have helped them, but why not me? Why not get past those things and go for it? What if that's something the Lord specifically wants to use me in, but I push it aside based off of my flimsy feelings?
I'm starting to see how I only really like to help those who've not wronged me. Even if I do end up helping them, it's usually with a half-hearted effort or with bitterness in a deep reserve inside of me.
Basically, I'm getting my butt kicked by this concept.

Luke 6:27-38 was a part of my daily Bible reading today. Funny one, Lord. It says this: (this is after Jesus delivers the beatitudes)
"But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those you curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who asks of you. And from him who takes away your goods do not ask them back. And just as you want men to do to you, yo also do to them likewise. But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. Therefore, be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you." (NKJV)

I pray that the Lord will continue to work on me with this, and you as well, if you need it.
I hope that while I continue to get a change of heart whilst helping Rocki, that change of heart will be translated to humans aka beings that are more important.
And if you wish to say a prayer for the lil Rockapoo, feel free to do so. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment