Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Anis Mojgani

I used to want to be a slam poet. I would write poems upon poems upon poems. I actually performed them from time to time at Studio Academy, the high school I went to. It's an alternative school for the performing and visual arts. Then, during one class, the teacher recorded me and gave me a copy. After hearing myself, I decided slam poetry wasn't for me.

Friday night, I went with a few friends, my brother, oldest sister and mom, to a special event that happened in Rochester, Minnesota of all places. The guys from the MTV reality show "The Buried Life" came to fulfill the wish of a girl named Lexie, who struggled with depression and self injury. Ironically, Lexie used to be a friend of mine during high school (well, the year and a half that I spent in a conventional high school). I stabbed her in the back in an effort to fit in. After that Friday night, all had been forgiven, since we're both not who we once were. Anyways....
Before Mat Kearney performed. Before Jamie Tworkowski from To Write Love On Her Arms spoke. Before Ben Nemtin from The Buried Life or Lexie spoke, there was Anis Mojgani.
Never before had I heard of this man. He stepped out, no one knowing who he was and with people not expecting much. He walked off the stage to rousing applause and cheers, as I know he touched every heart in that place.

So, I had to share this with you, because I love you. Even if I don't know you, I freaking love you. Just accept it. ;-)

I'm going to post a link to a video of Anis's poem, "Come Closer". Listening to him say each word, I had goosebumps all over my body, chills running up and down my spine, and tears in my eyes. Signs of a great slam poet. Anis truly inspired me to speak once again.

Click here and you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment